Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Driving here can be interesting!


I found this article in Popular Mechanics online magazine that highlights interesting or scenic roadways around the world. If you think about it, cars would not be nearly as fun without good roads and exciting things to look at or steer around. Speaking of that, I grew up in Gwinnett County, a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. It was one of the countries fastest growing counties for about 30 years. As such, I don't believe there was a day of my life where I didn't see our county mascot (the orange construction barrel) along the side of one road or another. Recently, road planners have decided that we need to be more like Europe in our driving habits (don't ask me- ask them?) and are beginning to tear up perfectly good intersections and replacing them with round-abouts. A friend of mine recently explained with a red face that he sat there and counted 37 instructional signs at a new round-about installed at the entrance of a county park. I personally believe these are funded by accident attornies in collusion with local police departments. Each group stands to make a mint as confused motorists run into each other and miss turns or stop signs (resulting in tickets and fines). Anyway, back to the article, I believe I would die of a heart attack if I had to drive on that cliff side road in China...

No comments:

Post a Comment