Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Defining the Redneck...


I am from the state of Georgia and proudly wear the name of redneck. However, those of us that actually reside in the South understand that there are "shades" of redneck. Some of us are educated, dress well, relate to the less friendly natives of the Northern zones and generally get along in what would be considered a normal condition. There are others however who are "Eat up with redneck". Let me give you an example... I am currently the ECommerce Manager at an Auto Parts company with an online presence named rightnowautoparts.com. In one of the previous positions here my job entailed answering calls and filling orders for dealerships around the country. My favorites were the calls from Southern Alabama (or LA to the locals). One such call went like this.

me- Thanks for calling, May I help you?

parts guy- Yeah check a number for me...

me- Sir, it looks like that number has been changed by the GM engineers to a newer number. Let me research it for you. Can you hold a second please?

parts guy- Sure, go ahead.

parts guy somewhat muffled by his hand over the receiver- Nah, you guys go on down to Shorty's. I'm gonna jump in the truck and run by the trailer to check on something. If my wife left the TV on again for that #@$%n dog I'm gonna beat her @$$, I don't care what my probation officer says...

me stifling a laugh- Sir I have your part number do you need a PO on the invoice?

Like I said, "ate up"... There's got to be a country song in that sentence somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment